On the occasion of Valentine’s Day, this holiday certainly very commercial but not less expected by couples, what better than a Hip Hop playlist that you can play with your half?
Rap songs can have a misogynistic or violent tendency. Indeed, a real OG is not used to declare himself and give his feelings, which could be seen as an admission of weakness or fragility in an environment where one must be strong and rough. However, a certain number of rappers have indulged in the exercise with rather metaphorical declarations. After all, love can strike anyone, even the most stony-hearted among us.
Anyway, these songs are not always as sensitive as they may seem, you can declare yourself while remaining “real”. This is what some of them will do, while others will choose the way of sensitivity to declare their love.
The goal here is not to go over the most beautiful love stories told in Hip Hop. Some have an unprecedented art of storytelling and could tell sad or romantic stories, dedicated or not to their promised. Here, the objective is rather to have a romantic Hip Hop playlist for Valentine’s Day, because yes, Hip Hop in its diversity can invite itself to this celebration. All the songs musically too rough are therefore excluded from this list, the most beautiful love stories will undoubtedly be the subject of a dedicated article. We have to admit that songs like Me & My Bitch by Notorious BIG or Temptations by 2pac, as beautiful as they are, are more difficult to listen to during a date or a romantic evening. We don’t want to scare away our honey or our promised one.
So we’ll focus on songs with soft sounds that could make our sweatheart melt in a subdued champagne and garter atmosphere. Below, we find a top 15 of the best romantic Hip Hop ballads that will make a perfect playlist for the lovers’ day.
15. You Got Me, The Roots feat. Erykah Badu and Eve (1999)
14. Beautiful, Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell (2002)
13. The Light, Common (2000)
12. Put It on Me, Ja Rule feat. Vita & Lil Mo (2000)
11. Dilemma, Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland (2002)
10. Ms Jackson, Outkast (2000)
9. Can You Get Away, 2Pac (1995)
8. Come Close, Common feat. Mary J. Blige (2002)
7. Eye Know, De La Soul (1989)
6. Lot’s of Lovin, Pete Rock & CL Smooth (1992)
5. Might Be, Anderson Paak (2014)
4. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You, Lauryn Hill (1998)
3. Bonita Applebum, A Tribe Called Quest (1990)
2. Teenage Love, Slick Rick (1988)
1. I Need Love, LL Cool J (1987)
Honorable mentions: Always on Time, Ja Rule (feat. Ashanti) ; Bound 2, Kanye West ; LOVE Kendrick Lamar (feat. Zacari) ; First Things First, Blu & Exile (feat. Miguel Jontel) ; Tell Him, Lauryn Hill
See you in the comment section for your favorite Hip Hop love ballads!